Saturday, February 4, 2012

Why argue about roads, when I can own them.

I started thinking, why spend time trying to convince people that the private sector can build and manage roads?  Why not just own roads myself and collect a dividend? There are many publicly traded road companies.  Anyone with a stock brokerage account can be a road owner. So I decided to risk it, and invest a small amount in Road King Infrastructure and Abertis Infraestructuras. I did this partly as a vanity investment and bragging rights.   Now when someone claims that private sector could never fund or manage roads, I can brag about how I am a road owner and collecting a fat dividend, so I am a walking contradiction of that claim. However vanity investing does not always pay off. The two I bought have paid fat dividends in the past, but dividends can disappear, and I could lose a significant amount of my principle as well. The road stocks are higher risk stocks and not for everyone, so if you are thinking the same way as me do your homework before investing.


Here are two articles on publicly traded road companies to start your research:
Disclosure: This is not intended as investment advice.   In other words don't blame me for losing your shirt in road stocks. Also I own Road King Infrastructure and Abertis Infraestructuras at the time of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment